Bagpipes are a wind instrument using enclosed reeds fed from a constant reservoir of air in the form of a bag. It is classified as a woodwind instrument, like the bassoon, oboe, and clarinet. The bagpipe is first attested in Scotland around 1400 AD, having previously appeared in European artwork in Spain in the 13th century.Riverview High School is one of the few high schools who offer a class to learn how to play this instrument. The RHS Kiltie Band is one of very few who have Pipers who march and perform with the band. We proudly present our Pipers, enthusiastically directed by Mr. Kevin Wiegand. If you have questions about how to join the Kiltie Bagpipers, please contact the Music Department.
Fort Lauderdale Highland Games - March 4, 2017
On March 4, 2017, some members of the Riverview High School Pipe Band competed in the Fort Lauderdale Highland Games. We are pleased to announce that many of our band members placed in the competition:
- Andre Markov won "Piper of the Day" for Grade 4
- Molly McQueeney walked away with two medals for Grade 4; Molly also played violin with a troop as part of the day's entertainment.
- Alessandro Giannini clocked in with two medals for Grade 4 Senior
Sarasota Highland Games - February 4, 2017
On February 4, 2017, the Riverview High School Pipe Band competed in the Sarasota Highland Games at the Sarasota Fairgrounds. We are proud to announce that our own band placed 2nd in the "Juvenile Pipe Band" competition. Special recognition to the individual pipers who each placed 1st in their respective categories:
- Lewis Ferrier ~ Piper of the Day for Grade 2 Senior (the cool cat wearing shades)
- Alessandro Giannini ~ Piper of the Day for Grade 4 Senior
- Anna Ferrier ~ Piper of the Day for Grade 4 Junior
The Pipers in Action
Fall, 2016-Pipers perform at fall concert
Spring, 2016-Pipers and dancers
Spring, 2015-Final concert with Pipers and Dancers